PICOLAX is indicated in adults, adolescents, and children from the age of 1 year:
– To clean the bowel prior to an X-ray examination or endoscopy.
– To clean the bowel prior to surgery when judged clinically necessary
Picolax Powder sachet is a powder that contains sodium picosulfate, a laxative that works by increasing the activity of the intestine.
Picolax sachets also contains magnesium citrate, another type of laxative that works by holding back fluid in the bowel to provide a wash-out effect.
Picolax is used in adults, adolescents and children from the age of 1 year to clear the bowel before an x-ray examination, endoscopy or surgery when judged clinical necessary.
Do not take Picolax Sachets if you:
• are allergic to sodium picosulfate / magnesium oxide / citric acid or any of the other ingredients of this medicine
• have reduced ability of the stomach to empty (gastric retention)
• have stomach or intestinal ulcers
• have severe problems with your kidneys
• have a blockage or perforation of your bowel
• are currently suffering from feeling or being sick
• have a condition requiring abdominal surgery such as acute appendicitis
• have been told by a doctor that you have congestive heart failure (the heart is unable to pump blood efficiently around the body)
• have active inflammatory bowel diseases such as Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis
• have been told by your doctor that you have too much magnesium in your blood
• are very thirsty or maybe severely dehydrated
• have been told by your doctor that you have damaged muscles that are leaking their contents to your blood
• have a condition called: ileus (intestinal blockage or failure of normal bowel movements),
– toxic colitis (damage to the intestinal wall)
– toxic megacolon (expansion of the large bowel)
In these conditions, the movement of the contents of the bowel may be impaired or prevented. Symptoms include nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal pain, tenderness or swelling, colicky pain, and fever.
Always take Picolax exactly as your doctor has told you. Check with your doctor if you are not sure.
Picolax powder should be dissolved in a cup of cold water (approximately 150ml). Stir for 2-3 minutes and then drink
the solution. Sometimes the solution becomes hot as Picolax® dissolves. If this happens, wait until it cools sufficiently
before drinking it.
The recommended dose is one sachet taken 10 to 18 hours before your procedure and one sachet taken 4 to 6 hours before your procedure. The first sachet taken, should be followed by at least five 250 ml drinks of clear liquids spread over several hours and the second sachet taken, should be followed by at least three 250 ml drinks of clear liquids spread over several hours.
You may drink clear liquids until 2 hours before your procedure.
For the timing of dosing in children, refer to the instructions given for adults
A measuring spoon is provided with the product.
From 1 and below 2 years: first dose is 1 spoonful, second dose is 1 spoonful
From 2 and below 4 years: first dose is 2 spoonfuls, second dose is 2 spoonfuls
From 4 and below 9 years: first dose is 1 sachet (taken as described under ‘adults’), second dose is 2 spoonfuls
9 years and above: adult dose.
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking Picolax Powder:
• if you have recently had abdominal surgery
• if you have a heart disease or kidney problems
• if you have inflammatory bowel disease such as ulcerative colitis or Crohn’s disease
if you are younger than 18 years, elderly or physically weak. You should make sure to drink a sufficient amount of fluid and electrolytes during the course of the treatment
• if you are taking Picolax® prior to surgery involving the bowel If you have an early time of the day procedure, you might need to take the second dose during night and possible sleep disturbance may occur.
Other medicines and Picolax
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking, have recently taken or might take any other medicines. It is especially important to tell your doctor if you are taking:
• bulk forming laxatives e.g. bran
• prescribed oral medication, especially if it is regularly prescribed as their effects may be modified e.g.
contraceptives, antibiotics, antidiabetics, iron, penicillamine or antiepileptics. These medicines should be taken at least 2 hours before and not less than 6 hours after administration of Picolax Sachets
• prescribed medication that may affect water and/or electrolyte balance e.g. water tablets, steroids, lithium, digoxin,
antidepressants, carbamazepine or anti-psychotics
If you are pregnant or breast-feeding, think you may be pregnant or are trying to have a baby, ask your doctor or
pharmacist for advice before taking this medicine.
Picolax® has no effect on the ability to drive and use machines. However, you should make sure that you have access
to a toilet at all times following each dose, until the effect wears off.
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
There have been isolated reports of severe prolonged abdominal pain in some patients which may indicate a serious condition and require urgent medical care, and isolated reports of severe allergic reactions which may lead to difficulty in breathing.
Isolated cases of mild ulcers in the small bowel have also been reported.
In the case of allergic reaction or severe prolonged abdominal pain, contact your doctor or nearest casualty department immediately.
The known side effects of Picolax® are described below:
Common (affects less than 1 in 10 but more than 1 in 100 patients):
• Proctalgia (anal pain)
Uncommon (affects less than 1 in 100 but more than 1 in 1,000 patients):
• Rash and/or itching
• Vomiting and severe diarrhoea can lead to dehydration with headache and confusion without proper fluid and salt replacement
• Abdominal pain
• Low levels of sodium or potassium in the blood (hyponatraemia or hypokalaemia) with or without associated fits. Fits have occasionally been reported in epileptic patients
The active substances of 1 sachet are 10 mg sodium picosulfate, 3.5 g
magnesium oxide light and 12 g anhydrous citric acid
The other ingredients are potassium hydrogen carbonate, saccharin sodium and natural, spray-dried orange flavour
which includes acacia gum, lactose, ascorbic acid, butylated hydroxyanisole
There are no questions yet, be the first to ask something for this product.
Moviprep (Macrogol 3350) Which Is A Type Of Medicine Known as a laxative. This Laxative is lemon flavoured containing four sachets, There are two large sachets (‘Sachet A’) and two small sachets (‘Sachet B’). You need all these for one treatment.
[Moviprep Is Only to Be Used To make your bowels clean so that they are ready for a Medical examination.]
Moviprep sachet works by emptying the contents of your bowels, so you should expect to have watery bowel movements.Learn More
Cetraben Emollient Bath Additive helps soothe and moisturise problematic, dry, and eczema prone skin.Learn More
Cetraben Ointment effectively hydrates sensitive or eczema prone skinLearn More
Cetraben Cream helps treat dry skin conditions such as eczema.Learn More
Cetraben Emollient Cream relieves dry skin and eczema symptoms such red, itchy, chapped or inflamed skin. Fragrance free.
Difflam Lozenges 3mg mint flavour provides effective relief from pain and irritation of the mouth and throat
Difflam lozenges should not be used during pregnancy.
Difflam lozenges should not be used during breastfeeding
Children under the age of 6 years old should not be given Difflam Lozenges.Learn More
Cymalon Sachets provide effective relief from the burning pain and stinging of cystitis in women. Cymalon Cranberry Sachets contain sodium citrate to help neutralise the acidity of urine during an attack of cystitis, thus relieving the burning pain and irritationLearn More