Clotrimazole Pessary 500mg is a vaginal tablet is a single course of treatment for vaginal thrush (candidal vaginitis). It is inserted into the vagina for treatment at the site of infection.
Clotrimazole Pessary 500mg product contains active ingredient, Clotrimazole which belongs to a group of medicines called imidazoles, which are used to treat fungal infections.
Vaginal thrush (candidiasis) is a common infection that most women suer from at some time in their lives and is not caused by lack of personal hygiene.
Thrush is caused by a yeast (fungus) called Candida which lives harmlessly in the vagina and other parts of the body, without you even noticing it. However, the natural balance that keeps Candida under control can be upset by many factors such as hormonal changes (menstruation, contraceptive pill, pregnancy, menopause), poor health, antibiotics, perfumed soaps, bath additives and tight clothing.
If the natural pH balance is altered, the level of yeast increases and can develop into a thrush infection causing any of the
following symptoms: persistent burning and/or itching around the vagina and vulva, redness, swelling and soreness of the tissues of the vagina and vulva and a whitish, odourless discharge from the vagina. Not everybody who has thrush has all these symptoms; you may have only one of them.
✓ Wear cotton knickers and loose clothing.
✓ Wash daily.
✓ After going to the toilet, wipe yourself from the front to back as a thrush infection may be transferred from the bowel.
✓ Change your sanitary protection regularly.
✗ Try to avoid wearing tights, nylon knickers and close fitting jeans.
✗ Try to avoid washing with perfumed soaps or using vaginal deodorants.
✗ Do not wash or rub yourself hard with sponges or flannels and avoid hot baths with strong perfumed oils.
If you are still worried or have any questions about the symptoms or the treatment of thrush, do not hesitate to ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice
Anyone who is pregnant or breastfeeding should not use Clotrimazole Pessary 500mg without speaking to a doctor or Dock Pharmacy pharmacist
You can buy Clotrimazole Pessary 500mg at Dock Pharmacy Essex UK, UK Online Pharmacy.
Clotrimazole Pessary 500mg is available to buy over the counter. You do not need a prescription to buy Clotrimazole Pessary 500mg but you might be asked some questions about your medical health when you add it to your basket.
After using Clotrimazole Pessary 500mg, it’s helpful to let others know about your experience. Reviews of an item help other users know that medicines received have helped the condition it is claimed for, how well the treatment worked or any issues to be aware of. We invite our users to leave a review of both their treatment and of the service provided. Click on the reviews tab to see if there has been feedback on this item
Always use this medicinal product exactly as your doctor has told you. Check with your doctor
or pharmacist if you are not sure.
• Treatment consists of one vaginal tablet, which should be inserted into the vagina at night.
• Do not use this product if you are on your period. Start the treatment once your period has
• Although best avoided, you may continue to have sexual intercourse during treatment unless your
doctor has advised you not to. However, this product may cause damage to latex contraceptives
(e.g. condoms or diaphragms) and consequently may reduce the effectiveness of such
contraceptives. You should use alternative contraception for at least 5 days after using this
• Do not use tampons, douches (vaginal washes/cleansers) or other vaginal products whilst using
Instructions how to insert Clotrimazole Vaginal Tablet
• Wash your hands before and after inserting the vaginal tablet
• Remove the applicator from the packaging
• Remove the tablet from the aluminium package and place it firmly into the open end of the
disposable applicator “B” (Diagram 1)
• To fit the tablet into the applicator, squeeze the applicator lightly on both sides, whilst pushing the tablet far enough into the holder (about 1cm) to be held in place during insertion
Duration of treatment
• Each course of treatment consists of one Clotrimazole vaginal tablet, which remains effective for
• After 1−2 days, most of the external symptoms of the infection (e.g. discharge, itching etc) should
• If the symptoms have not been relieved or if the infection returns within 7 days of using
Clotrimazole vaginal tablet, treatment may be repeated.
• If the infection recurs more than twice within 6 months, you should consult your doctor
If anyone accidentally swallows the tablet
Clotrimazole vaginal tablets should only be used in the vagina.
If you or anyone else has accidentally swallowed the vaginal tablet, you must contact your doctor or
nearest emergency department immediately for advice. Remember to take this leaflet with you.
If you have any further questions on the use of this medicinal product, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
What you need to know before you use Clotrimazole Pessary 500mg
Do not use Clotrimazole if:
• You are allergic (hypersensitive) to Clotrimazole, imidazoles, other vaginal anti-fungal products or any of the other ingredients of this medicinal product (See Section 6 “Contents of the pack and
• You suffer from any of the following symptoms:
o Irregular vaginal bleeding
o Abnormal vaginal bleeding or a blood-stained discharge
o Vulval or vaginal ulcers, blisters or sores
o Lower abdominal pain
o Pain when passing urine (dysuria)
o Any adverse events such as redness, irritation or swelling associated with the treatment
o Fever or chills
o Feeling sick (nausea) or being sick (vomiting)
o Foul-smelling vaginal discharge
Warnings and precautions
Talk to your doctor before using Clotrimazole:
• If this is first time you have experienced symptoms of thrush
Page 2 of 4
• If you have had more than 2 infections of thrush in the last 6 months
• If you have a previous history of sexually transmitted disease or have been exposed to a sexually transmitted disease
• If you are or suspect you are pregnant (see “Pregnancy” section)
• If you are aged under 16 or over 60 years of age
Other medicines and Clotrimazole
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking, have recently taken or might take any other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription. This includes herbal medicines.
Medicines which may interact with Clotrimazole:
• Other medicines used to treat fungal infections such as amphotericin and nystatin (polyene antibiotics)
• Medicines used to reduce the body’s immunity when receiving organ transplant such as tacrolimus (immunosuppressants)
Pregnancy and Breast-feeding
You must tell your doctor if you are pregnant or if you think that you are.
Clotrimazole can be used during pregnancy but only under the supervision of a doctor or midwife.
If your doctor tells you that you can use Clotrimazole during pregnancy, the vaginal tablet can be inserted without using the applicator.
Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding or about to start breast-feeding. A risk to the suckling child cannot be excluded and your doctor will decide whether or not you should continue breast-feeding taking into account the benefit of breast-feeding for the child and the benefit of treatment for you.
Clotrimazole contains lactose
If you have been told by your doctor that you have intolerance to some sugars, contact your doctor before using this medicinal product.
5 How to store Clotrimazole
• Keep this medicinal product out of the sight and reach of children.
• Do not use this medicinal product after the expiry date which is stated on the container after
“EXP”. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
• Do not store above 25°C. Store in the original package in order to protect from moisture.
• After use, the disposable applicator is to be safely disposed of. It cannot be flushed down the
Please read before using the product
Like all medicines, this medicinal product can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
Seek medical advice immediately if you develop the following symptoms:
Page 4 of 4
• Allergic reactions: swelling of the face, throat or tongue, fever, difficulty in breathing, dizziness
(this may also include fainting, low blood pressure, skin rashes with or without the formation of
• Intolerable burning sensation or irritation
Side effects (frequency not known)
• Mild burning or irritation immediately after inserting the vaginal tablet
• Peeling of the genitals
• Severe itching (pruritus)
• Rashes (erythema)
• Swelling of parts of the body (oedema)
• Discomfort, burning sensation, irritation or pelvic pain
• Vaginal bleeding
• Stomach pain
Reporting of side effects
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor or pharmacist. This includes any possible side effects
not listed in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly via the internet at
(www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard). By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on
the safety of this medicinal product.
What Clotrimazole Vaginal Tablets contains:
Each 500mg vaginal tablet contains 500mg Clotrimazole.
The other ingredients are:
Adipic acid, microcrystalline cellulose, pre-gelatinised maize starch, sodium hydrogen carbonate,
stearic acid, lactose, polysorbate 80, magnesium stearate, maize starch, colloidal silicon dioxide
There are no questions yet, be the first to ask something for this product.
With Canestest, you can test before you treat, so you know you’re choosing the right solution that will bring you effective relief from your infection.